Reflections by Randy Hodge
|Posted on April 17, 2017 at 11:55 AM|
It's hard to believe that we are in the home stretch of the 2016-17 school year! There are a plethora of activities that are scheduled between now and the rest of the school year and I want to take time to share some of them with you. We would love to have you join us; events that are open to the public are bolded.
• April 23: CMAC Scholar Athlete Banquet – At this event, 14 of our 20 seniors will be acknowledged for having a grade point average (GPA) higher than a 3.40 and lettering in two or more varsity sports.
• April 25: Senior awards banquet - The junior class will host our annual senior awards banquet which honors this year’s graduating class.
• April 29: Prom – The theme for this year’s junior and senior prom is Breakfast at Tiffany's and will take place at the ballroom at McKay Tower in downtown Grand Rapids.
• May 2: May Crowning – At this ceremony we celebrate Mary, the mother of Jesus, at our annual May Crowning ceremony. Please join us at 10:30 a.m. in the church.
• May 7: First Holy Communion – 2nd grade students who participate in the group ceremony will receive their first Holy Communion at 2:00 p.m. Mass in the church.
• May 10: 8th Grade retreat – Our 8th grade students who are preparing for their confirmation in the fall will attend a retreat as one of the final steps in their preparation.
• May 11: Seniors’ last Mass – The seniors will lead Mass for the final time at our 9:30 a.m. school Mass in the church.
• May 12: Spring Carnival, book fair and art show – We will host our annual spring carnival, book fair and art show throughout the school beginning at 6:00 p.m.
• May 16: H.I.T. Awards ceremony – Our 13 Heartlands Institute of Technology students will be acknowledged at their annual awards banquet.
• May 18: Grandparents Day – We will host our annual grandparents day beginning at 1:00 p.m. in the school gym. After hearing songs presented by our elementary students, grandparents will visit classrooms for an ice cream social.
• May 18: Seniors’ last day – The high school students will celebrate the seniors’ last day with a softball tournament.
• May 21: Graduation Mass and commencement - We will celebrate the successful school careers of our 20 seniors at a graduation Mass with Bishop Walkowiak presiding. Please join us at 2:00 p.m. in the church.
• May 29: No School – Memorial Day.
• June 1: Last school Mass of the 2016-17 school year- The third graders will lead Mass for their first time at 9:30 a.m. in the church.
• June 9: Last day of school – The 2016-17 school year will conclude with a half day of school.
There are also many extracurricular athletic activities and field trips scheduled to take place.
Wow! It will be an extremely busy end to the school year at St. Patrick School. Please consult our school calendar for these and any other activities that are taking place around St. Patrick Parish and School at www.portlandstpats.com. We look forward to having you join us!