Reflections by Randy Hodge
|Posted on October 31, 2017 at 6:10 AM|
For many years, St. Patrick students have participated annually in an event called “Pay It Forward”. In recent years, it has mostly consisted of raking leaves around the community. After much thought, prayer and brainstorming, this event will be getting an extreme makeover this school year including a new name.
The St. Patrick High School Ambassador Team has spent a great deal of time planning "Thanksliving.” As the name implies, our students will offer thanks for the blessings they have received through living service to people within our own community and in the surrounding area.
Our younger students will continue raking leaves for the elderly and homebound within walking distance of the school. But the secondary students will embark on much more ambitious service projects. Specific plans are still being formulated by the Student Ambassador team, but among those under consideration are:
• Hosting a Red Cross Blood Drive at the school
• Going to area nursing homes and visiting with those residing at the facilities. They will also help complete any projects that these facilities need help with.
• Assist Positive Solutions Informed Choices, a pregnancy resource center in Ionia, with any projects they may need assistance with.
• Complete any other service projects that our local government or citizens need help with.
• We would like to collaborate with other area Catholic Schools. This allows us the ability to expand our good will and provides the ability to reach out to those beyond our own community.
This big event will take place on Tuesday, November 21.
If you know of someone or any organization in the greater Portland area that we can be of assistance to on this date, please contact the school office at (517) 647-7551 or email your project or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continue to check our school website and Facebook page for "Thanksliving" updates and photos the day of. We will continue posting details and information as it becomes available.