Reflections by Randy Hodge
|Posted on April 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM|
On Tuesday, March 20, St. Patrick student athletes, their parents, and the winter sports coaching staff gathered at the Knights Hall for the annual awards banquet. The purpose was to celebrate a successful winter sports season. This event is graciously hosted by our Athletic Association every year.
I personally believe a school’s sports programs and the students involved in those programs should represent the goals and values being taught in the school’s curriculum. With that as the standard, our student athletes accomplished all that could be expected of them and more during the season. They exemplify the third part of our mission statement: We Achieve!
The highlight of the winter sports season was the girls basketball team winning their fourth consecutive district title and our boys bowling team winning their first-ever regional title.
Individual and team accomplishments for the winter season include:
The girls bowling team finishing 6th in the regional tournament. Individual honors include:
• Kayla Shaw finished 20th in the state tournament. She was also named 1st team All-County.
• Kara Shaw was honorable mention All-County
• Abby Pearson was named as the Brandon VanderBroek scholarship recipient which is awarded to the bowler which exemplifies the characteristics displayed by Brandon when he was a bowler in high school.
The boys bowling team finished second in the league and won their first-ever regional trophy. Individual awards include:
• Stephen Wernet advanced to states where he finished 17th. He was named 1st team All-County
• Jake Pung was named 2nd team All-County
The varsity boys basketball team finished with a 7 – 14 season despite losing senior Danny Mackowiak due to a broken wrist before the season started. Individual awards include:
• Brandon Scheurer was 1st team CMAC and was named the Co-Player of the Year in Ionia County
• Nathaniel Leahy was named 2nd team CMAC and 1st team All-County
• William Simon was honorable mention CMAC and All-County
The girls basketball team finished 3rd in a tough CMAC and won their 4th consecutive district title. They lost in the regionals to the eventual state champions. Individual honors include:
• Katie Coyne was named honorable mention All-State, 1st team All-County and second team CMAC
• Kylee Schrauben was named 2nd team All-County and honorable mention CMAC
• Chloe Cross, Lainey Schrauben and Mallory Scheurer were named honorable mention CMAC
Most importantly, our student athletes worked hard to maintain their grades and demonstrated good sportsmanship throughout the season. All in all, I am very proud of the way our student athletes represented our school both on and off the court and lanes throughout the season. Their strong work ethic, commitment to success, positive attitude, and teamwork propelled our teams to a successful winter sports season of which they can be very proud. Our student athletes have been exemplary examples of what we expect at St. Patrick School. Congratulations, teams for a job well done!