Reflections by Randy Hodge
|Posted on September 19, 2017 at 8:15 AM|
The following information has been provided by Mr. Mike Coyne, St. Patrick Athletic Association president for the 2017-18 school year.
The St. Patrick Athletic Association was formed in 1951 to raise the funds necessary to operate Shamrock athletic programs. Today, our mission remains the same. Currently our athletic budget runs over $120,000 per year. In addition to funding our athletic programs, the Athletic Association recruits hundreds of volunteers needed to support both our fundraising events and to ensure our hosted athletic contests are presented in a way that represents the mission of our parish and school. The good work we do provides students of St Patrick the opportunity to participate in our sports programs at no additional cost. The Athletic Association leadership team includes three others: Vice President Todd Davlin, Treasurer Scott Brown, and Secretary Kim Drake.
St. Patrick athletic programs have been blessed with a generous following and community support which has enabled us to generate enough revenue to meet our budget. Keeping with our tradition, “pay to participate” fees will not be required at St. Patrick School again this year.
The following are 2016-2017 Athletic Association accomplishments:
• We continued to find great success with our annual fundraisers (Fall Festival, Spring Country Auction, and Sports raffle)
• Other smaller events pushed our budget over the top including Comedy Night and Sports Passes
• We recruited hundreds of volunteers for our hosted sporting events and fundraisers
The following are 2016-2017 team Accomplishments:
• The varsity football team qualified for playoffs for the 5th straight year, and won the Central Michigan 8-Man Conference
• The varsity girls’ basketball team won the district title, and Coach Schrauben earned his 600th career win
• The varsity girls’ volleyball team won 3 tournaments. They also won a district and a regional title (the first in school history)
• Our Bowling, Track, and Cross County teams sent eight athletes to State finals’ events
• The varsity girls’ softball team won the Vestaberg invitational
• Our baseball team won the Class D state title
• 14 Shamrock Athletes were named to the CMAC All-Academic team
• Our varsity Volleyball Coach Heidi Wenzel and our Varsity Baseball Coach Bryan Scheurer were named LSJ Coaches of the Year
We have many people to thank including:
• Great parish leaders in Father Larry and Deacon Don
• Parish and school administrators who lead with faith and integrity
• Pat Russman and Sarah Townsend our athletic directors who spend countless hours behind the scenes coordinating our athletic programs
• Teachers who work with our student athletes, teaching them how to balance their faith, academics and sports
• Coaches who give their time to teach and coach our athletes
• Bus drivers who provide our teams with safe transportation
• Parents who set great examples for our student athletes by supporting our teams
• Our local business community who financially supports our athletics year after year
• All Athletic Association volunteers who ensure that our fundraising and hosting of athletic events are conducted in line with our mission
• Our fans who support our programs with your attendance and at our fundraising events
• Our athletes who provide proud examples of what it means to be St. Patrick Scholar Athletes
There are a number of ways you can help us this school year:
1). Join the Athletic Association by attending our meetings
2). Help work at our fundraisers (Fall Festival, Shamrock Auction)
3). Help with game-day activities (clean up crew, concessions, work at the gate)
4). Certify and work with the school to join our list of bus drivers
5). Buy and sell raffle tickets for our fundraisers (Fall Fest, Sports Raffle)
6). Buy an Athletic Sports Pass and attend as many events as possible.
Please consider attending our meetings and becoming an active member. Our meeting schedule is posted on the school website (http://www.portlandstpats.com/athleticassociation.htm). If you attend eight meetings per year you will earn a free family sports pass for the following year (a $200 value).
Feel free to contact me at 517.331.0715 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. I love to talk about St. Patrick Sports programs and this very hardworking, generous group.
Thank you again to everyone who supports St. Patrick athletics!