Reflections by Randy Hodge
|Posted on October 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM|
We are into the fall and the end of the 1st marking period is already in sight. While much has been accomplished thus far in the school year, there is no time to relax or rest on our laurels as there are many activities to look forward to before Thanksgiving break. Here are some of the activities that will take place between now and Thanksgiving break at St. Patrick School to make sure you put them into your calendar.
• October 14: St. Patrick School will host our annual Fall Festival fundraiser. See my column from last week for more details on the event.
• October 18 and 19: The St. Patrick School teaching staff will attend the Michigan Association of Nonpublic Schools (MANS) conference in Grand Rapids. This conference brings together school leaders, teachers, and staff from member schools across the state. They enjoy two days of professional development, sharing with colleagues, and the unique opportunity for fellowship with Catholic and Lutheran Schools throughout the State of Michigan.
• October 26: The first marking period will officially come to an end.
• October 31: Elementary students will celebrate Halloween with parties in their classrooms and our annual costume parade around the school gymnasium.
• November 1: Our students will attend an all-school Mass for All Saints Day. This will be followed by a Big Rock/Little Rock event in classrooms.
• November 2: St. Patrick School will host members of the Portland Fire Department for our annual fire prevention assembly.
• November 12: St. Patrick School will host its annual Veterans Day program in the school gymnasium at 10 a.m. Veterans, their families, and everyone else is invited to join us as we celebrate and pay tribute to those who have served our nation.
• November 15: School will not be in session as many of our students head to the fields and woods in pursuit of the elusive whitetail.
• November 21-23: School will not be in session for Thanksgiving Break.
The fall sports season begins to wind down as the varsity cross country, football, and volleyball teams begin participation in their respective state tournaments at the beginning of November. The winter sports season officially kicks off with the following dates:
• November 5: The first day for boys basketball practice.
• November 12: The first day for girls basketball and girls and boys bowling.
It is going to be a very busy, yet fun and exciting time of the year at St. Patrick School. With all the activities that will take place throughout the rest of October and into November. If you have any questions about any of the scheduled activities, consult the school website at www.portlandstpats.com or call the school office at 647 – 7551.