Reflections by Randy Hodge
|Posted on December 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM|
The end of the year always finds the circulation of many lists counting down the major events that happened. And before we ring in 2019, I would like to create my own list and look back at the top events for St. Patrick School during 2018.
It would be impossible to rank them in order of importance so I have placed them in chronological order instead:
1. We were excited that 36 of our high school students made the decision to attend the March for Life in Washington, D.C. in January. This is the beginning of our goal of having the entire high school attend. We have 50 students who have committed to attend the March for Life 2019.
2. In February, our pastor Fr. Larry King officially retired. Bishop Walkowiak named Fr. Michael Alber as our new pastor.
3. We staged a school play for the second consecutive year by performing What Happened After Once Upon a Time.
4. Our school participated in the Giant Rice Bowl project again this year during Lent raising $1,378.86 for Catholic Relief Services.
5. The Class of 2018 graduated in May. 24 out of the 26 enrolled in higher education with $270,000 in committed scholarship money. Seven had a grade point average over a 4.0 and 24 out of the 26 had one over a 3.0.
6. St. Patrick High School and Aquinas College continued with our agreement to host college classes on our campus. We expanded our course offerings adding Cultural Anthropology and Introduction to Psychology courses.
7. We expanded out 1:1 Chromebook initiative by adding Chromebooks for our 8th grade students. In 2019, our middle and high school students will all be provided a Chromebook.
8. Our girls varsity cross country team finished first in the state in Academic All-State. They had the highest grade point average of any Division IV school fielding a cross country team.
9. The varsity football team finished as state runner up this year. They advanced to the state semifinals before being ousted by a strong Onekema team.
10. Our campus ministry followed up last year’s exciting activities by adding Thanksgiving dinner the night before Thanksgiving for those looking for a good meal, companionship or both. They finished the year with a new activity called “Christmas on the Ranch.”
“We Achieve!” is the third and final part of our mission statement and it is evidenced by this list. Many hours of work by a great number of individuals were completed to make all of these events happen throughout 2018. We are excited about these accomplishments and are even more excited for the prospect of bigger and better things to come in 2019. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from all of us at St. Patrick School!